Healthy Alternative for Chicken Fingers!
Whether shaped like nuggets, stars, crowns, or fingers, deep-fried chicken bites do a major disservice to one of the planet’s best sources of protein. Let the restaurant coat it in one of their special sauces and you could be downing nearly a full day’s worth of calories on a food designed for children. In fact, Chili’s popular Crispers pack in more calories than a dozen Fresco Beef Tacos from Taco Bell and more sodium than 24 small bags of Lay’s potato chips. Make the switch to this oven-fried version once a week and you’ll shed 25 pounds in a year.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp chipotle pepper puree
- 1 Tbsp honey
How to Make It:
* Preheat the oven to 450°F. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the egg whites in a shallow bowl. Place the crumbs on a plate and season those, too. Dip the chicken tenders into the egg, then toss in the crumbs, being sure to coat fully.
* Place the breaded chicken pieces on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the crumbs have browned and the chicken is firm.
* Combine the mustard, chipotle, and honey in a large bowl. Toss the cooked chicken tenders in the mixture so they are all evenly coated with the spicy-sweet sauce.
1.5 g fat (0 g saturated)
350 mg sodium
From: Eat This!